The Old Aquinians Hockey Club was founded in 1932 by Phon Scott and his small band of helpers as a one-team club. In that year they won the B Grade Challenge Cup and were victorious in the end of season Grand Final, followed by a Victory Dinner at Lalor’s Perth Hotel – so the club was born and has continued on it’s successful way with very proud traditions throughout the past 85 years.
The club was promoted for its first A1 Grade competition in 1935 and played in its first A1 Grade final in 1946 (losing a hard fought encounter 1-0). Tom Lalor was the first Club Member to represent the State in 1933 and Peter Kennedy represented Australia in 1948. Guth Ardagh who was President of the Western Australian Hockey Association from 1952-1960 was appointed Manager of the Australian men’s Olympic Hockey Team for the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne (hockey’s first appearance at the Olympics.)
In 1959 Hockey became an official PSA sport and those who have captained the teams are listed separately. Following on from this the Hotspurs club was formed in 1961 with Terry Hughan and Don Martin being the two Old Aquinians representatives. This Club was made up of ex Public School Hockey players and designed to foster and develop schoolboy and junior hockey. Members of the Old Aquinians Hockey Club have had quite an involvement with the Hotspurs both at local level and as members of various overseas tours. Members who have captained the Hotspurs are included for your information.
In the mid sixties the club survived a crisis point in its history when after four years in the second division it regained it’s A Grade status.
Another significant development in the club was the introduction of Junior Hockey Teams with Ian Bell the driving force behind the concept. There were students of the College playing for various clubs which was counter productive to the long term development and success of both the College and Club. Five teams were entered in the competition as follows.
2 x U/16
2 x U/14
1 x U/11
The concept was warmly embraced by many hockey and non hockey parents together with the full support of the college, the teams winning a total of eight pennants in their first year and the success has continued from there.
Although it had it’s early share of successes, the club became a power in the hockey world in the 70’s, both on and off the field. In that period under the coaching of Richard Aggiss, who went on to become State, Australian and Olympic Coach, the club won it’s first Premiership, 2 Challenge Cups and 3 Guth Ardagh Trophies in the A1 Grade. The A2 Grade won 6 Premierships, including 5 in succession and the Juniors won their share of individual team pennants as well as the Inaugural Kyle Rutter Trophy in 1979. David Bell, who captained the Australian Gold Medal World Cup Team in 1986, took over as club coach in 1981 and won a Premiership that year. Nigel Patmore who played in the 1984 Australian Olympic Team, coached the club from 1992-97 and won a Premiership in 1994.
In 1964 the hockey playing fields at Aquinas College were named “Kennedy Oval” as a mark of appreciation for what the Kennedy family has meant to the College and for hockey in particular. In 1968 at the initiative of the Hockey Club a walkathon was conducted in conjunction with the College and the Old Boys Association with the proceeds to assist in building the Old Aquinians Hockey Pavilion and the College Rowing Club facility.
In 1970 the Hockey Pavilion was officially opened by Rev Bro Leo Hassam utilising the hard earned club funds and part proceeds of the walkathon. Modern extensions were carried out in 1984 and officially opened in 1985 by Rev Brother Tony Dally. The clubrooms provide an ideal facility for all club members and the Aquinas community to use and are a wonderful family based facility. The pavilion was named “The Mike Kinsella Clubrooms” in October 1992, for his outstanding contribution to the Old Aquinians Hockey Club.
During discussions in relation to the extensions of the existing pavilion in 1985 the college were unable to contribute financially to the additional change room facilities. In the interest of the long term benefit to all concerned the club took out a commercial loan with five or it’s members as Guarantors;
In 1994 after discussion with the College Head Master, Rev Bro Kevin Paull and the Chairman or the College Board, Michael Perrott, the loan was taken over by the College under normal commercial terms and repaid on August 15th 1999.
The Club is most grateful for the help given in this project and it is just another example or the ongoing co-operation between College and club.
The club was first to form a Businessmen’s Association in 1975 as part of the club and in 1977 introduced Club Sponsorship to hockey in Western Australia.
The Club has been most fortunate to have had people who have generously given of their time in many ways and particularly as Presidents of the Club. A large number of members have also contributed in various ways and been recognised for that contribution as life members. A record of these people is included for information